intrepidheroine

Our Intrepid Heroine

I'm a multitasking, knitting, cooking, voraciously-reading library worker who wants to spread her bibliomania as far as possible.

Ash and Silver: A Sanctuary Novel
Carol Berg
The Sleeping Partner
Madeleine E. Robins
Kraken
China Mieville

Glove Shop in Vienna and Other Stories

A Glove Shop in Vienna and Other Stories - Eva Ibbotson The first story I read from this collection was "A Question of Riches," which was reprinted in The Persephone Biannually, No. 8 Autumn/Winter 2010-2011. I read it on Black Friday when, after I misread an ad to read that a shop was giving out gift cards to the first 100 customers (it actually said that they would give out a $5 off coupon and a chance to win a gift card), I was thwarted by Meijer's unwillingness to sell champagne before 6:30 am. I returned from my first and only Black Friday expedition completely empty-handed but too wired to sleep. So, I picked up the Persephone catalog I'd been meaning to read.

To my delight, there was a charming short story about a little boy and his relationship with his two grandmothers. Even though it was 5 am, I fell in love with the story and wanted more. I was thrilled to find that Eva Ibbotson had written a short story collection containing this book.

Which, by the way, I need. To the birthday list!