intrepidheroine

Our Intrepid Heroine

I'm a multitasking, knitting, cooking, voraciously-reading library worker who wants to spread her bibliomania as far as possible.

Ash and Silver: A Sanctuary Novel
Carol Berg
The Sleeping Partner
Madeleine E. Robins
Kraken
China Mieville

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer This book cracked me up for reasons as inexplicable as the franchise.

Not in that mildly amusing, roll your eyes and smile, or even "laugh along with the protagonists" kind of cracking up. This book made me cackle. I sat on the couch in my living room and laughed so hard that my brother was torn between asking and taking my temperature.

(He opted for the run and hide solution.)

This was infinitely my favorite book in the series (which isn't saying much) because it was so dreadful. Every single thing about this mess was overblown, absurd, and a bit gruesome. After spending three books wishing horrible things upon most of the characters, I almost had wish fulfillment candy. I read this book as pure, unadulterated silliness, made even better by the people who actually liked the series raving about how Meyer had turned her back on the characters and their Wuv.

So, to summarize my opinions on the Twilight series:

- The plot sometimes deigns to show up.
- Nonexistent role models for teenaged girls, unless they're planning on eloping with a glittery Popsicle (which would have had far more personality than the love interest).
- Horrendous dialogue.
- Worse sentence structure.
- Minimal character development.
- The characters aren't in love. They're emotionally stunted, imbalanced, and occasionally crazy.
- Apparently, creepiness and stalkerish behavior is totally in right now.

However, I never did figure out why so many teenage (and adult) girls love these books.

I'm not reading any more of them. I can't deal with this woman. This one is just going to have to stay a mystery.