intrepidheroine

Our Intrepid Heroine

I'm a multitasking, knitting, cooking, voraciously-reading library worker who wants to spread her bibliomania as far as possible.

Ash and Silver: A Sanctuary Novel
Carol Berg
The Sleeping Partner
Madeleine E. Robins
Kraken
China Mieville

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer My best friend gave me a copy of this book for my birthday one year. I avoided reading it after the grammar on the first two pages worked me into a rage. At the time, I taught high school students to write speeches, and some of them were in love with these books. Love. I HAD to read them, they said, because they were awesome. The best thing since Harry Potter.

So I read this book.

I don't know how much I can say that hasn't been said a thousand times before... more eloquently, with more effective vitriol, with fewer contributions to the face-shaped crater emerging in my desk. I couldn't even bring myself to hate the characters because I just didn't care.

I thought that was the end of it. Then I started wondering in the back of my mind. Not about what would happen to the characters (obviously, a sparkletastic vampirey future with lots of soulful glances), but why people liked them. I had far too much free time at that point, and it preyed on me. So I decided to find out.