intrepidheroine

Our Intrepid Heroine

I'm a multitasking, knitting, cooking, voraciously-reading library worker who wants to spread her bibliomania as far as possible.

Ash and Silver: A Sanctuary Novel
Carol Berg
The Sleeping Partner
Madeleine E. Robins
Kraken
China Mieville

This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All - Marilyn Johnson I liked this book, but pieces of it puzzled me. For example, the author spends a significant amount of time discussing Second Life. However, she also never actually gave me a reason to care about librarians on Second Life basically being librarians.

I agreed with the book's central hypothesis, which was: librarians are awesome! Beyond that, it told me a lot of things I already knew (libraries are underfunded! Libraries often have to be totally technologically innovative! Librarians make lots of jokes about being spinsters with cats who wear glasses on a chain! There is often Division between academic/research and public libraries!) and left me feeling a little depressed. Most books about literacy tend to have this effect, as I'll get halfway through the essay before wondering what the world's coming to that people don't seem to realize the value of reading (etc., etc.)

In any case, it was a decent read, but it's not going on my favorites list any time soon.