intrepidheroine

Our Intrepid Heroine

I'm a multitasking, knitting, cooking, voraciously-reading library worker who wants to spread her bibliomania as far as possible.

Ash and Silver: A Sanctuary Novel
Carol Berg
The Sleeping Partner
Madeleine E. Robins
Kraken
China Mieville
SPOILER ALERT!

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)

Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne I didn't like this book. I didn't hate it (thus giving it a two star rating), but I actively disliked it at times.

I loved The Hunger Games. I thought, what a great heroine for young women. I wish I'd had her when I was a young adult, because she's a great example of overcoming adversity. However, she was slightly disenfranchised in Catching Fire, which annoyed me a bit, and I hoped she'd pull it together and become a revolutionary for Mockingjay.

Instead, she spent all of the book ill with an attitude problem, and most of it in the throes of losing her mind. I got maybe two flashes of what I loved about the character in this entire novel, and it wasn't enough to carry the thing.

Then, Peeta. And Prim. And Boggs. And Finnick.

This was the book of sacrificial lambs, and it's exactly what I thought the first book would be. Depressing. Bitter. Extremely violent. She killed too many likable people in despicable ways, many for no reason except to make the main character feel guilty.

Guilt is not enough of a motivating factor, here. And really, killing off Prim defeated the purpose of the entire series, because initially, that's what this was about. Katniss volunteers to save her sister's life, and her sister dies anyway.

Uncool, lady. Very uncool.