intrepidheroine

Our Intrepid Heroine

I'm a multitasking, knitting, cooking, voraciously-reading library worker who wants to spread her bibliomania as far as possible.

Ash and Silver: A Sanctuary Novel
Carol Berg
The Sleeping Partner
Madeleine E. Robins
Kraken
China Mieville

Finding Serenity: Anti-heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly (Smart Pop series)

Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly - Glenn Yeffeth, Jane Espenson I picked this book up for two reasons: the title, and the series. I am a Firefly fan. I didn't know the series existed until after the movie came out in 2005, but I picked up a copy of the box set and sat down to watch.

I promise not to rabid fangirl-out on everyone (this is about the book, not the series), but I loved it. I loved Firefly for the writing, the dialogue, the anti-heroes, and the humor. Every time I re-watch it, I forget just how funny it was, and I once again lament the fact that it was cancelled before I ever knew it existed.

Basically, I'm the kind of fan who has serious opinions on which essays in this book were accurate, and which ones were full of it. I startled the boy (who was innocently playing Monster Hunt three feet away) because I snapped aloud at one of the authors for not doing his research. I hate poorly-researched writing. Way I figure, if you're paid to write an article, cite your evidence correctly, because mixing up episodes is sloppy. The entire series has 14 episodes. It's really not that hard to remember which one had which plot point. /end rant

That aside, the best essay in this book was by Mercedes Lackey. It was about the nature of freedom in the show Firefly, and which characters were "freer" than others, which is just the kind of pondering that I eat up with a spoon. I actually didn't read the author until after I'd finished the essay and wondered who wrote it. I was a bit taken aback, because this was my only experience with Lackey's writing until this point.

The book was published before the movie came out, so it was very interesting to read several of the authors' hypotheses on things that were answered in Serenity. Perhaps their essays would have been informed by the film, and several others would have had further speculation. Either way, this was a fast, entertaining read, and I'm glad I grabbed it.